About Me

My photo
My name is Nicki and I am a mother and wife. My Husband and I live in Iowa in our first home with our son Alex, our 3 dogs and my cat. We are animal lovers and love everything about old time living and try to be as self sufficient as we can be. My sister and I grew up out in the country with no electricity and we loved it! How many 23 year old women do you hear that from? Not many I'm just crazy or so Ive been told. I am always learning new crafts because I get bored easily, right now I am learning how to knit but my real passion is starting my own herbal soap and healing salve making business with my mom, Woods Edge Creations.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Why Use Handmade Soap Vs. Commercial


First lets talk about what true soap is. True old fashioned soap is created by a chemical reaction between oils, water and lye. Although lye is used to make soap there is no lye after the saponification process is complete.
Now lets talk about commercial soap. The fact is that most "soaps" that you buy at the stores are not soaps at all but detergents. Detergents are petroleum based and tend to leave your skin dry and itchy. They contain preservatives and chemicals which are harmful. Your skin is the largest organ in your body so it is not only important what you but in it but also what you put on it because it can be absorbed into your skin.
So what are the benefits of handmade soap? Well one of the main benefits is the glycerin content. In most commercial soaps the glycerin is extracted and sold as a byproduct to be used in high priced lotions and creams. The glycerin remains in handmade soap and absorbs water from the air which makes it a key factor in keeping your skin soft and healthy. We also do not add any artificial preservatives or chemicals and only use natural essential oils in our soaps. Check out our etsy site for a list of handmade soaps we have available!

No comments:

Post a Comment